Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The power of not resisting

The power of not resisting from John David Mann readings
When the conversation goes icy,
Turn in the direction of the skid



It was 25 years ago, The summer of '71, And at the ripe old age Of 17 I was finally learning how to ride a bicycle.



At birth my feet were deformed, Club footed, Bent so that my toes at rest Touch my heels. Some ingenious Doctors found a way to correct the problem without surgery, But it took several years of repeating applications of heavy plaster casts, Each a bit straighter than the last.  Eventually my feet arrived at normal, But I was now a few years behind in crawling Walking and bike riding.


Of course I couldv'e Learned then-
But my friends already knew how, And I was too embarrassed to let them see me start.  So I let it pass.


Now, At seventeen I'd Decided it was time.


Since I went through the bike learning process as a sentient adult (More or less), I still record distinct awareness of the process. When you feel yourself falling to the right, What do you do?  You turn the wheel in the same direction, Stopping the full. Right?  Right.  But my greenhorn instinct screamed, "No, you idiot!- The other way!  Turn the other way!  You're falling right-turn left!  Cut it hard!"  So I would.  And end up on my butt.


Communication with human beings works exactly the same way.  When your dialogue with a prospect Starts to feel like it's about to lose its balance and fall, Instinct tells you, "Turn the other way, idiot!  Cut it hard!"


Gee, Your product seems kinda expensive-" "Ha!  Expensive, you say?  Why, not at all!  Darn cheap, I'd say Worth every penny and more- hey, Have you considered how much you spend each month on junk food, aspirin and bad movies?"


Crash.


"So, Is this one of those pyramid things---?"  "Are You out of your mind?!  No way!  Absolutely not!  It's totally legal!  You think I'd be doing it if it were illegal?!"


Smack, right on your butt.


Not long after learning to ride a bike, I learn to drive a car, And I there Encountered : The identical concept:  When finding yourself on an icy road And Going into a skid, turn in ... what direction?  The direction of the skid.  Seems counter-intuitive, But any driver Who's done winters on New England Knows it's the Absolute truth.


What does "Turn in the direction of the skid"  Look like in communicating with humans?  Something like this:

"So you're saying, X Dollars seems like a lot to spend? [Pause, Let them say, Yeah it does.]  Yeah, I know what you mean.  It's a serious chunk of change.  I had to think twice the first time I tried them out, too.  In fact, These are the top of the line in their field, And I don't you old find any that cost more and I doubt you'll find any that cost more than ours.  Let me ask you this: What kind of results would you need to see To justify the price?"


My friend Richard Brooke calls it, Embellishing the Objection."  It's a matter of going in the same direction the other person is leaning-Not struggling to force them to lean back The other way.  It is Exemplified in one of John Foggs Favorite questions: "Can you say more about that...?"


It's a matter of being with the other person-Not Jousting for dueling With them.  Of trusting your products, Your opportunity, The facts and yourself enough To not have to push.  It shows the other person (And yourself) That you're not afraid of questions.


It's a feeling of balance...On your bicycle built for two.


When I first started to ride a bike, Its so awkward and strange, Like I'd never get the hang of it.  Of course, I did.  Anyone can.


And you already know what is the most amazing thing about learning how to handle yourself on a bike.  Once you learn how, It becomes second nature-And you never, Ever forget.




So this is Jermaine Oiler Exec Felton Wellness Instructor/Success Coach

I look forward towards your assistance


Direct Line:  718-213-6720
Website:  http://oilthebest.com/aromazenith/




No comments:

Post a Comment